Friday, October 26, 2012

A Baby Boy Quilt that I nearly named “Stalactites and Stalagmites”

It’s that time of the quilting year again. Quilt Market is here again and for all of us who are staying at home, Amy is hosting Blogger’s Quilt Festival again.

My entry is one of those UFOs from my FAL Q4 List that I could not show you then. I kind of prepared the quilt top when I found out our business partner was going to have a baby boy. Then it turned into an UFO and sat waiting. The baby boy was born 2 weeks ago and his name is Henning.

Our Local Fabric Store now carries Fat Quarters from India. They are called “Flat Fats”. As quilting is not very well known in Germany, these FQ are the first they ever carried. I simply had to support them and bought some. I didn’t want the quilt to be too baby-ish and chose a small stack of FQ in blue, a yellow print and two matching blue solids by the metre. It was my very first experience with improvisational cutting and piecing and I have to admit, I really liked it – despite the fact that some passages turned out awefully crooked. I simply sliced the bulky and misshaped blocks into strips and added them to the better shaped blocks.

Henning Quilt

I backed it with a dotty blue print from our LQS and added a pieced binding with a white and yellow striped print as a little extra something. I used a triple zig-zag stitch to stitch the binding in place and I think this is goint to be my future go-to binding method. Quick and neat.  And secure.

Henning Quilt Binding and Backing

I had already used the same method to raw-edge-appliqué the letters but I wouldn’t probably do that again. Much too difficult when it comes to stitching the corners.

Henning Quilt Applique

I quilted some wide-and-uneven-spaced, more or less straight lines with my walking foot and used different threads: white, yellow, blue and some red. Just for good measure. I wanted this quilt to be soft and cozy, so no intense quilting this time.

Taking photos of this quilt was a nightmare. There were two days between the time that I finished the quilt and the moment it was gifted. Two days of rain. Non-stop. So no outtakes. Indoors the light was very bad and the selected photos above were the only close-to-acceptable-ones I was able to take.

Writing this blogpost, I discovered http://www.befunky.com/ and “cartoonized” one of the photos: This is the quilt hanging on one of our armchairs. Makes me feel funky indeed (o:

BeFunky_Oilpainting_1

All in all I LOVE this quilt. I like the combination of colours and values and the little quilting. Regarding the composition I might as well have called this quilt “stalactites and stalagmites”. LOL.

I didn’t measure it, but is has to be nearly crib size. A bit shorter infact. It was hard to let it go but so nice to get a phone call from Henning’s Mom who assured me of her pleasure receiving it. Hope he will like it himself when he grows up!

edited to add: Best category: Favorite Baby Quilt, Favorite Two Color Quilt

I’m linking up to Amy’s Blogger’s Quilt Festival Fall 2012 and I guess I’ll see you there?!

Amy's Creative Side

Have a nice weekend!
Christine

P.S. What do you think, is this quilt too modern for a baby or do you think it is appropiate? I’m still pondering if I like more baby-ish quilts better for babies…

27 comments:

  1. Great quilt, and I love the final photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quilt for a baby boy! and I love the cartoonized pic ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute quilt..and I love the cartooned photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeously different.
    Loving your cartoon pic = thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I can see why you wanted to name it "Stalactites and Stalagmites". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice for your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it for babies! It's a very original quilt. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so cute. And thanks for the link for the cartoon pic--how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a nice quilt! Love that cartoonized picture of it...really cool. Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this quilt is wonderful for a baby! And mom gets to be modern art mom at the shops when she uses it for baby. I love your blocks and the quilting. Thank you for sharing it in the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the use of zig zag stitching in this quilt and I really like the cartoonized picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think its great for a baby - love the colours and it is something he will treasure for ever. Am now off to look at that cartoon link. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always love seeing blues and yellows in quilts. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful colours. That cartoon picture of the quilt on the chair is so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it, and no, I don't think it's too modern for a baby! In my experience, most modern moms are steering away from "babyish" traditional quilts. Whoop whoop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. great boy quilt - the cartoon is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun quilt! Love the color combination.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun, fun, fun quilt. Love it!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bright and cheery quilt:)))

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it is as modern as it should be. It is just great! #76

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the improv design! keep up the great work!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like it for a baby-not too modern, and not your same-old baby quilt. The funky cartoon picture is really neat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's a great name for this nice quilt. The improv design is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it is wonderful...and I think it is great for a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is wonderful! I love the name stalactites and stalagmites, I think it represents the quilt beautifully. What a lucky little boy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to leave me a comment. You make my day :o)))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...