Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sewing on patches and jeans re-assembly

Sorry, no progress on my to do list yesterday. We had to pay an emergency visit to the dental surgery. My eldest fell and lost two teeth :o( With examinations, x-rays and lots of consolation, I was completely exhausted last night. 

Luckily, he is one brave boy. Once he discovered that he  now looks like a first grader, he was quite proud (he is only 4 years old) and didn't shed another tear.

Today, I managed to squeeze in some sewing time and finished off my boys' jeans.


And here's how I attached the patches and re-assembled the jeans.

Pin the patch to the jeans. Don't forget to take out the paper templates!!!


Stitch close to the edge all around the patch. Use a denim needle. You may want to use matching thread if you don't want the stitches to show up. I used matching thread in those cases where I embellished the patches (I wanted the ants to take center stage). In the case below, I made a plain denim patch and used contrasting thread to sew it on. If you want a more prominent stitch, consider using a triple straight stitch, it allows the fabric to stretch and is wider that a usual straight stitch.


Pay close attention that this mistake does not happen to you: when sewing trough the patch, I caught a bit of the edge and had to unpick many triple stitches. Huh. 


Turn inside out, line up edges and pin.


Sew along the former inner seam, using a triple straight stitch. It will allow the fabric to stretch and is stronger than a single straight stitch.


Serge the fraying edges (my sewing machine came with a serger foot) or zig zag along the edges.


Turn and admire your work.
This is my work from this week:


As this one already was decorated with prints and applique, I just made a plain denim patch. 


 Here are some ants for my eldest.


Little crowns for my eldest (I should have used an embroidery thread but didn't have a matching one at hand . Oh well.)


And finally some more ants for my younger son. 


Happy Patching!
Christine

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea to undo the seams.... I always struggled to sew around the patch with free machine sewing... It makes a lot of sense... Love the ants too....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking time to leave me a comment. You make my day :o)))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...